Search This Blog

Friday, July 08, 2005

London Calling

Dear Akiko,

Thanks so much for your concern! Patrick and I are both fine as are all of our friends. As you know, we live and work just a 10 minute walk from the bus explosion. I was already at the London Film School when the explosions happened. One of our staff members was passing the bus when the bomb went off. He made it into the school safely, but he was terribly shaken. We locked down the school and kept all of the students calm.

We've got a big screen plasma TV here at the school, and we all gathered in front of it watching for news. Akiko, it was really heart warming admist all of the tragedy. As you know, the students are a very international group. We had Muslims, Jews, Christians, Hindu and Agnostics supporting each other and showing a great sense of solidarity. I was really impressed with how brave they all were for being so young.

I was also impressed by the way the police, paramedics and medical professionals handled the situation. We felt like things were under control soon after the explosions.

Walking home through Covent Garden was surreal. It was 5 p.m. and all of the shops were closed. I've never seen that before. The only places open were the pubs, and they were packed (in true English fashion!).

I'm still trying to process it all today. I feel like the world has lost some of its innocence since I was a child. But then I realize that we've been bombing each other to hell for generations. What an utter lack on imagination on the part of the human race. I'm so disappointed and sad that we can't think of better things to do than kill each other.

Keep yourself safe, and good health to your father.

Hugs,

Daneeta

No comments: