Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Working the Night Shift

...and listening to Dion Warwick. Hey Nat!

It was really difficult to get up this morning. Patrick was printing out EDLs for "The Fragile" so we didn't go to bed til midnight. Up at 5 a.m. again to do the "Cowboy" shift. Sometimes this is a bit too much, but it's the only way to get Tokyo Cowboys stuff done before the day shift.

I got a yellow fever jab today. Patrick and I are going on a vacation of sorts. We've been invited to join the crew of a short film called "Trousseau" directed by Princess Afia Nkrumah of Ghana. The film is being shot in...you've guessed it...Ghana (that's Africa for all of my fellow Americans out there). Patrick was recruited by Princess Afia herself to light and operate the film. And I was asked to be the Production Manager in Ghana. We'll be shooting for two weeks.

Patrick and I have decided to start cutting the film ourselves. This is not to say that we wouldn't welcome on board, now or at a later date, an experienced editor. As the director, however, I need to start seeing how the footage represents my vision. I need to find the structure upon which to hang the themes. I have all of these ideas that I'm trying out in my head, but we've tried none of them in practice yet. It's exciting, but it means even more work and better time management. Where is my kick ass bilingual Japanese PA?

My challenge, though, is in commnicating my vision to the editor. Patrick is too much focused on story. I'm more interested in universal truths. And, I have to figure out a way to move him closer to my vision without compromising his objectivity.

I pitched a really high-profile editor for TC. I thought that a good way to add cred to the film is to add high-profile, experienced team members. She didn't turn me down flat. She said she couldn't do it because she was committed to another project. She did read my email, but I only heard back from her agent. I think I should pitch to other big editors. They can only say no.

Meeting with Robin in which he encouraged me with all of his heart to continue on the independent path. This way, my hands won't be tied, he says. Really have to think about that one.

No comments: